- The definition of inference is an educated guess made through observation.
An example of inference is a scientist guessing at the result of an experiment using things he's already learned.
- an act or the process of inferring
- a conclusion or opinion arrived at by inferring
Origin of inferenceMedieval Latin inferentia
- a. The act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises known or assumed to be true.b. The act of reasoning from factual knowledge or evidence.
- a. Something inferred.b. Usage Problem A hint or suggestion: The editorial contained an inference of foul play in the awarding of the contract. See Usage Note at infer.
NounSee also: inférence
(countable and uncountable, plural inferences)
inference - Legal Definition
A logical conclusion drawn from available facts; the process of arriving at such a conclusion.