- The definition of a suggestion is a proposal made or an idea that has been put forth.
An example of suggestion is when someone offers up an idea for what to do that evening.
suggestion definition by Webster's New World
- a suggesting or being suggested
- something suggested
- the process by which an idea is brought to the mind through its connection or association with an idea already in the mind
- a faint hint or indication; small amount; trace: a suggestion of boredom in her tone
- the inducing of an idea that is accepted or acted on readily and uncritically, as in hypnosis
- the idea induced or the stimulus used to induce it
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French suggestioun ; from Classical Latin suggestio
suggestion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of suggesting.
- Something suggested: We ordered the shrimp, a suggestion of the waiter.
- The sequential process by which one thought or mental image leads to another.
- a. A psychological process by which an idea is induced in or adopted by another without argument, command, or coercion.b. An idea or response so induced.
- A hint or trace: just a suggestion of makeup; the first suggestion of trouble ahead.
suggestion - Medical Definition