The definition of a suggestion is a proposal made or an idea that has been put forth.
An example of suggestion is when someone offers up an idea for what to do that evening.
- a suggesting or being suggested
- something suggested
- the process by which an idea is brought to the mind through its connection or association with another idea already in the mind
- a faint hint or indication; small amount; trace: a suggestion of boredom in her tone
- inducing of an idea that is accepted or acted on readily and uncritically, as in hypnosis
- the idea induced or the stimulus used to induce it
Origin of suggestionMiddle English ; from Old French suggestioun ; from Classical Latin suggestio
- The act of suggesting: bought the book at my suggestion.
- Something suggested: Are you going to follow my suggestions?
- The sequential process by which one thought or mental image leads to another.
- a. A psychological process by which an idea is induced in or adopted by another without argument, command, or coercion.b. An idea or response so induced.
- A hint or trace: just a suggestion of makeup; the first suggestion of trouble ahead.
(countable and uncountable, plural suggestions)
- (countable) Something suggested (with subsequent adposition being for)
- I have a small suggestion for fixing this: try lifting the left side up a bit.
- Traffic signs seem to be more of a suggestion than an order.
- (uncountable) The act of suggesting.
- Suggestion often works better than explicit demand.
- (countable, psychology) Something implied, which the mind is liable to take as fact.
- He's somehow picked up the suggestion that I like peanuts.