- The definition of a suggestion is a proposal made or an idea that has been put forth.
An example of suggestion is when someone offers up an idea for what to do that evening.
- a suggesting or being suggested
- something suggested
- the process by which an idea is brought to the mind through its connection or association with an idea already in the mind
- a faint hint or indication; small amount; trace: a suggestion of boredom in her tone
- the inducing of an idea that is accepted or acted on readily and uncritically, as in hypnosis
- the idea induced or the stimulus used to induce it
Origin: Middle English from Old French suggestioun from Classical Latin suggestio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act of suggesting.
- Something suggested: We ordered the shrimp, a suggestion of the waiter.
- The sequential process by which one thought or mental image leads to another.
- a. A psychological process by which an idea is induced in or adopted by another without argument, command, or coercion.b. An idea or response so induced.
- A hint or trace: just a suggestion of makeup; the first suggestion of trouble ahead.
suggestion - Medical Definition