- the act of associating
- the state of being associated; companionship; fellowship; partnership
- an organization of persons having common interests, purposes, etc.; society; league
- a connection in the mind between ideas, sensations, memories, etc.
- the use of such connections as a literary device or psychoanalytic technique
- a group of organisms living together in the same environment and forming a large, distinct component of a biome: an oak forest association within a deciduous forest biome
- Chem. the joining by relatively weak chemical bonds of two or more molecules of the same or different substances into a larger aggregate, as in polymerization
Origin of associationMedieval Latin associatio, a joining with: see associate