- An association is defined as a connection between ideas made mentally, or a connection you see in your head.
An example of an association is thinking of milk when you think of cookies.
- An association is a group or organization to which you may belong.
An example of an association is the American Psychological Association.
- The definition of an association is a relationship with an individual, group or organization.
An example of an association is the friendship you have with a co-worker.
- the act of associating
- the state of being associated; companionship; fellowship; partnership
- an organization of persons having common interests, purposes, etc.; society; league
- a connection in the mind between ideas, sensations, memories, etc.
- the use of such connections as a literary device or psychoanalytic technique
- a group of organisms living together in the same environment and forming a large, distinct component of a biome: an oak forest association within a deciduous forest biome
- Chem. the joining by relatively weak chemical bonds of two or more molecules of the same or different substances into a larger aggregate, as in polymerization
Origin of associationMedieval Latin associatio, a joining with: see associate
- The act of associating or the state of being associated.
- An organized body of people who have an interest, activity, or purpose in common; a society.
- a. A mental connection or relation between thoughts, feelings, ideas, or sensations.b. A remembered or imagined feeling, emotion, idea, or sensation linked to a person, object, or idea.
- A correlation or causal connection: the association of exercise with improved sleep.
- Chemistry Any of various processes of combination, such as hydration, solvation, or complex-ion formation, depending on relatively weak chemical bonding.
- Ecology A large number of organisms in a specific geographic area constituting a community with one or two dominant species.
- The act of associating.
- The state of being associated; a connection to or an affiliation with something.
- (statistics) Any relationship between two measured quantities that renders them statistically dependent (but not necessarily causal or a correlation).
- A group of persons associated for a common purpose; an organization; society.
- associate verb
- associational adj
From Latin associātiōnem, from associāre (perhaps via French association).
association - Legal Definition
- A group of members of a profession organized to practice their profession together. The association may be a partnership, corporation, or some other entity.
- A group of members of a profession organized to promote, improve, regulate, or deal with the public on behalf of their profession, such as a bar association.
- In some states, the same as a professional corporation. See also corporation.