- Archaic a mustache
- the hair growing on a man's face; esp., the beard on the cheeks
- a hair of a man's beard
- any of the long, bristly hairs growing on each side of the upper lip of a cat, rat, etc.; vibrissa
- a very small, hairlike, single-crystal filament of high tensile strength, grown on certain metals, alloys, crystals, etc. and serving to reinforce the material
- a very small amount or margin: to lose an election by a whisker
- Naut. either of two spars extending laterally, one on each side of the bowsprit, for spreading the jib and flying jib guys
Origin of whiskerMiddle English wisker, something used for whisking: see whisk and -er
- a. whiskers The hair on a man's cheeks and chin.b. A single hair of a beard or mustache.
- One of the long stiff tactile bristles or hairs that grow near the mouth and elsewhere on the head of most mammals; a vibrissa.
- Informal A narrow margin; a hairsbreadth: The candidate lost the election by a whisker.
- Nautical One of two spars or booms projecting from the side of a bowsprit for spreading the jib or flying-jib guys.
- Chemistry An extremely fine filamentary crystal with extraordinary tensile strength and unusual electrical or surface properties.
Origin of whiskerMiddle English wisker anything that whisks from wisken to whisk ; see whisk .
- whisk′ered whisk′er·y
- That part of the beard which grows upon the sides of the face, usually of the male, or upon the chin, or upon both.
- A hair of the beard.
- One of the long, projecting hairs growing at the sides of the mouth of a cat, or other animal.
- (colloquial) The (very small) distance between two things
- (nautical) spreaders from the bows to spread the bowsprit shrouds.
- (statistics) a graphic element that shows the maxima and minima in a box plot
- One who, or that which, whisks, or moves with a quick, sweeping motion.
- (metallurgy) A small tendril that forms on metal.