- Archaic a mustache
- the hair growing on a man's face; esp., the beard on the cheeks
- a hair of a man's beard
- any of the long, bristly hairs growing on each side of the upper lip of a cat, rat, etc.; vibrissa
- a very small, hairlike, single-crystal filament of high tensile strength, grown on certain metals, alloys, crystals, etc. and serving to reinforce the material
- a very small amount or margin: to lose an election by a whisker
- Naut. either of two spars extending laterally one on each side of the bowsprit, for spreading the jib and flying jib guysalso whisker boom
Origin of whiskerMiddle English wisker, something used for whisking: see whisk and amp; -er
- a. whiskers The hair on a man's cheeks and chin.b. A single hair of a beard or mustache.
- One of the long stiff tactile bristles or hairs that grow near the mouth and elsewhere on the head of most mammals; a vibrissa.
- Informal A narrow margin; a hairsbreadth: The candidate lost the election by a whisker.
- Nautical One of two spars or booms projecting from the side of a bowsprit for spreading the jib or flying-jib guys.
- Chemistry An extremely fine filamentary crystal with extraordinary tensile strength and unusual electrical or surface properties.
Origin of whiskerMiddle English wisker, anything that whisks, from wisken, to whisk; see whisk.
- whisk′ered, whisk′er·y
- That part of the beard which grows upon the sides of the face, usually of the male, or upon the chin, or upon both.
- A hair of the beard.
- One of the long, projecting hairs growing at the sides of the mouth of a cat, or other animal.
- (colloquial) The (very small) distance between two things
- (nautical) spreaders from the bows to spread the bowsprit shrouds.
- (statistics) a graphic element that shows the maxima and minima in a box plot
- One who, or that which, whisks, or moves with a quick, sweeping motion.
- (metallurgy) A small tendril that forms on metal.