- The definition of confusion is a state of bewilderment, misunderstanding or chaos.
- When you do not understand a difficult problem, this is an example of a situation where you feel confusion.
- When people are running around in a disorganized fashion with no idea of what they are supposed to be doing, this is an example of confusion.
confusion definition by Webster's New World
a confusing or being confused; specif.,
- state of disorder
- bewilderment; distraction
- failure to distinguish between things
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin confusio
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- confusional adjective
confusion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. The act of confusing or the state of being confused: Backstage confusion made the rehearsal difficult.b. An instance of being confused: “After his awakening to Chicano identity, he briefly mastered his inner confusions and found an articulate voice” (David C. Unger).
- Psychology Impaired orientation with respect to time, place, or person; a disturbed mental state.
- con·fuˈsion·al adjective
confusion - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Impaired orientation with respect to time, place, or person; a disturbed mental state.
confusion - Phrases/Idioms
covered with confusion