- The definition of an edifice is a complex concept or is a large and imposing building.
- An example of an edifice is the reasoning behind the theory of relativity.
- An example of an edifice is a huge, multi-story court house.
- a building, esp. a large, imposing one
- any elaborately constructed institution, organization, etc.
Origin of edificeMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin aedificium, a building ; from aedificare: see edify
- A building, especially one of imposing appearance or size.
- An elaborate conceptual structure: observations that provided the foundation for the edifice of evolutionary theory.
Origin of edificeMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin aedificium, from aedificāre, to build : aedis, a building + -ficāre, -fy.