- The definition of a building is a structure or the process of making a structure.
An example of a building is a school.
A modern office building.
building definition by Webster's New World
- anything that is built with walls and a roof, as a house or factory; structure
- the act, process, work, or business of constructing houses, ships, etc.
building definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something that is built, as for human habitation; a structure.
- The act, process, art, or occupation of constructing.
Variant of build
- to make by putting together materials, parts, etc.; construct; erect
- to order, plan, or direct the construction of
- to make a basis for; establish: to build a theory on facts
- to cause to be or grow; create or develop: often with up: to build good will, to build up a business
Origin: Middle English bilden ; from Old English byldan, to build ; from base of bold, a house, akin to Old Norse bua: see bondage
- to put up a building
- to have a house, etc. built
- to be in the business of building houses, etc.
- to increase in amount, force, etc.; grow or intensify: often with up
- to depend or be based (on): this theory builds on others