Most rental cars are retrofitted with GPS so that travelers are less likely to get lost.
- The definition of a retrofit is a change to improve an already existing thing.
An example of a retrofit is a newly-designed piece of equipment added to an older airplane to make it safer.
- Retrofit is defined as to add improvements to something that already exists.
An example of retrofit is to make it easier to find your direction in a car by adding a GPS system on the dashboard.
Origin of retrofitretro- and fit
intransitive verb-·fit·ted, -·fit·ting
transitive verbret·ro·fit·ted, or ret·ro·fit ret·ro·fit·ting, ret·ro·fits
- To outfit (a device, vehicle, building, or system) with newly developed or previously unavailable parts or equipment: retrofit cars with new safety features.
- To install or fit (a device or system, for example) for use in or on an existing structure, especially an older dwelling.
- An instance of retrofitting: a retrofit for the heating system.
- Something that has been retrofitted.
(third-person singular simple present retrofits, present participle retrofitting, simple past and past participle retrofitted) (intransitive)
- To add or substitute new parts or components to some device, structure etc., that were not previously available; to modernize
- To fix an older version (older versions) as part of the same process of fixing the newest version; to backport
- The bug was so bad that we had to retrofit our patch to the last three releases, as well as the newest release.
- Something that has been retrofitted
- The act of retrofitting
- of, relating to, or being a retrofit
Blend of retro- and refit