- that rises; going up, ascending, mounting, advancing, sloping upward, etc.
- advancing to adult years; growing; maturing: the rising generation
- Astrol. ascendant (sense )
- ⌂ Informal, Dial.
- fully as much as; somewhat more than
- approaching; nearing: in these meanings sometimes construed as a preposition: a man rising fifty
- the act or process of a person or thing that rises; esp., an uprising; revolt; insurrection
- something that rises; specif.,
- a projection or prominence
- Dial. a boil, abscess, etc.
- Ascending, sloping upward, or advancing: a rising tide.
- Developing or emerging: the rising generation.
- Increasing in power or influence: a rising nation.
- About to begin a certain grade or educational level: rising seniors.
- The action of one that rises.
- An uprising; an insurrection.
- A slope or hill.
- Present participle of rise.
- The act of something that rises.
- the risings and fallings of a thermometer
- going up
- (US, slang, dated) More than; exceeding; upwards of.
- a horse rising six years of age
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.