- The definition of a revolt is an uprising against or refusal to cooperate with authority or the government.
An example of a revolt is a civil war.
- To revolt is defined as to be shocked or disgusted.
An example of to revolt is feeling nauseated by the smell of durian fruit.
- a rising up against the government; rebellion; insurrection
- any refusal to submit to or accept authority, custom, etc.
- the state of a person or persons revolting
Origin of revoltFrench révolte ; from révolter, to revolt ; from Italian rivoltare ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form revolutare, for Classical Latin revolvere: see revolve
- to rise up against the government
- to refuse to submit to authority, custom, etc.; rebel; mutiny
- to turn away (from) in revulsion
- to be disgusted or shocked; feel repugnance: with at or against
Origin of revoltFr révolter
verbre·volt·ed, re·volt·ing, re·volts
- To attempt to overthrow the authority of the state; rebel.
- To oppose or refuse to accept something: revolting against high taxes.
- To feel disgust or repugnance: was revolted by the gory movie.
- An uprising, especially against state authority; a rebellion.
- An act of protest or rejection.
- The state of a person or persons in rebellion: students in revolt over administrative policies.
Origin of revoltFrench revolter, from Italian rivoltare, to turn round, from Vulgar Latin *revolvitare, frequentative of Latin revolvere, to turn over; see revolve.
(third-person singular simple present revolts, present participle revolting, simple past and past participle revolted)
- To rebel, particularly against authority.
- The farmers had to revolt against the government to get what they deserved.
- To repel greatly.
- Your brother revolts me!
- To cause to turn back; to roll or drive back; to put to flight.
- (intransitive) To be disgusted, shocked, or grossly offended; hence, to feel nausea; used with at.
- The stomach revolts at such food; his nature revolts at cruelty.
- To turn away; to abandon or reject something; specifically, to turn away, or shrink, with abhorrence.
- an act of revolt