- An example of a coup is when rebels overthrow the government.
- An example of a coup is when you make a big sale.
The definition of a coup is a political uprising in which power changes hands or a successful strategic move.
- literally a blow
- a sudden, successful move or action; brilliant stroke
- coup d'état
Origin of coupMiddle English coupe and French coup, both from Old French colp from Medieval Latin colpus from Vulgar Latin colapus from Classical Latin colaphus, a cuff, box on the ear from Classical Greek kolaphos
- A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph.
- a. A coup d'état.b. A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover: a boardroom coup.
- Among certain Native American peoples, a feat of bravery performed in battle, especially the touching of an enemy's body without causing injury.
Origin of coupFrench stroke from Old French colp from Late Latin colpus from Latin colaphus from Greek kolaphos
- A quick, brilliant, and highly successful act; a triumph.
- A coup d'état.
- By extension, a takeover of one group by another.
Borrowing from Old French