- The definition of a coup is a political uprising in which power changes hands or a successful strategic move.
- An example of a coup is when rebels overthrow the government.
- An example of a coup is when you make a big sale.
coup definition by Webster's New World
- literally a blow
- a sudden, successful move or action; brilliant stroke
- coup d'état
Origin: Middle English coupe and amp; French coup, both ; from Old French colp ; from Midieval Latin colpus ; from Vulgar Latin colapus ; from Classical Latin colaphus, a cuff, box on the ear ; from Classical Greek kolaphos
coup definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. coups coups
- A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph.
- a. A coup d'état.b. A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover: a boardroom coup.
- Among certain Native American peoples, a feat of bravery performed in battle, especially the touching of an enemy's body without causing injury.
Origin: French, stroke, from Old French colp, from Late Latin colpus, from Latin colaphus, from Greek kolaphos.
coup - Cultural Definition
In politics, an abbreviation for coup d'état.
coup - Phrases/Idioms