The definition of a coup is a political uprising in which power changes hands or a successful strategic move.noun
- An example of a coup is when rebels overthrow the government.
- An example of a coup is when you make a big sale.
noun pl. coups
- literally a blow
- a sudden, successful move or action; brilliant stroke
- coup d'état
Origin: ME coupe & Fr coup, both < OFr colp < ML colpus < VL colapus < L colaphus, a cuff, box on the ear < Gr kolaphos
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. coups coups
- A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph.
- a. A coup d'état.b. A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover: a boardroom coup.
- Among certain Native American peoples, a feat of bravery performed in battle, especially the touching of an enemy's body without causing injury.
Origin: French, stroke, from Old French colp, from Late Latin colpus, from Latin colaphus, from Greek kolaphos.
coup - Cultural Definition
In politics, an abbreviation for coup d'état.
coup - Phrases/Idioms