A map of Egypt.
An example of Egypt is the country of which Cairo is the capital.
From Middle French Egypte, from Latin Aegyptus, from Ancient Greek Αἴγυπτος (Aiguptos), from Mycenaean Greek *aikupitos (nb. (aikupitijo, “Egyptian”)), from Late Egyptian Hikuptah (“Memphis”), from Middle Egyptian ḥwt k3 ptḥ (literally, 'The temple of the ka of Ptah', referring to Ptah's temple in the important city of Memphis).
- Then the king called one of the wisest scholars in Egypt and asked him what the word meant.
- His activity at that time was no less astounding than it was in Egypt, in Italy, in Austria, and in Prussia.
- The loss of trade consequent upon the closing of Egypt and the Levant, together with the discovery of America and ~e~ilne the sea-route to the Indies, had dried up her thief of Vonl~e source of wealth.
- On the one hand, he regards him as supreme in power, controlling the destinies of Babylonia and Egypt as well as those of Israel, and as inflexibly just in dealing with ordinary offences against morality.
- Is unhistorical, and that the community addressed by Haggai consisted of the remnant that had been left in Jerusalem and its neighbourhood after the majority had gone into exile or fled to Egypt (Jer.