An Eastern Church in the Ukraine.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- Historical the Christian Church in much of the eastern part of the Roman Empire, consisting of the four patriarchates in eastern Europe, western Asia, and Egypt, headed by the bishops of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem
- Eastern Orthodox Church
- collectively, the Eastern Christian churches in communion with the Western churches
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The church of the Byzantine Empire, including the patriarchates of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem.
- The Eastern Orthodox Church.
- often Eastern church A Uniat church.