The definition of civilization refers to a society or group of people or the process of achieving a higher state of social development.noun
- An example of civilization is the Mesopotamian civilization.
- An example of civilization is an industrial society that has arts, sciences, and machines such as cars.
- the process of civilizing or becoming civilized
- the condition of being civilized; social organization of a high order, marked by the development and use of a written language and by advances in the arts and sciences, government, etc.
- the total culture of a particular people, nation, period, etc.
- the countries and peoples considered to have reached a high stage of social and cultural development
- intellectual and cultural refinement
- the amenities, esp. creature comforts of civilized life
Origin: ML civilizatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
- The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
- The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
- Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
- Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.