(dē jen′ər ā′s̸hən; di-)
- the process of degenerating
- a degenerate condition
- Biol. deterioration or loss of a function or structure in the course of evolution, as in the vestigial eyes of many cave animals
- Med. deterioration in structure or function of cells, tissues, or organs, as in disease or aging
See degeneration in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- The process of degenerating.
- The state of being degenerate.
- Medicine Gradual deterioration of specific tissues, cells, or organs with corresponding impairment or loss of function, caused by injury, disease, or aging.
- Biology The evolutionary decline or loss of a function, characteristic, or structure in an organism or a species.
- Electronics Loss of or gain in power in an amplifier caused by unintentional negative feedback.
Learn more about degeneration