- An example of development is the changing of a caterpillar to a butterfly.
- An example of development is emerging details about a local robbery.
- An example of development is a community of condos intended for seniors.
- a developing or being developed
- a step or stage in growth, advancement, etc.
- an event or happening
- a thing that is developed; specif., a number of structures on a large tract of land, built by a real-estate developer
Origin of developmentFrench développement
- The act of developing or the state of being developed, as:a. The application of techniques or technology to the production of new goods or services.b. The business of constructing buildings or otherwise altering land for new uses.
- A significant event, occurrence, or change: a news story covering the latest developments in the scandal.
- A group of dwellings built by the same contractor: bought a condo in a new development built by the river.
- The organized activity of soliciting donations or grants; fundraising.
- Music a. Elaboration of a theme with rhythmic and harmonic variations.b. The central section of a movement in sonata form, in which the theme is elaborated and explored.
(countable and uncountable, plural developments)
- (uncountable) The process of developing; growth, directed change.
- The development of this story has been slow.
- (uncountable, biology) The process by which a mature multicellular organism or part of an organism is produced by the addition of new cells.
- The organism has reached a crucial stage in its development.
- (countable) Something which has developed.
- Our news team brings you the latest developments.
- (real estate, countable) A project consisting of one or more commercial or residential buildings, real estate development.
- (real estate, uncountable) The building of a real estate development.
- (uncountable) The application of new ideas to practical problems (cf. research).
- Our development department has produced three new adhesives this year.
- (chess, uncountable) The active placement of the pieces, or the process of achieving it.
- White's development is good, but black's has been hampered by the pawn on e5.
- (music) The second section of a piece of music in sonata form.