- likely to happen as a result or concomitant; incidental (to): the cares incident to parenthood
- falling upon, striking, or affecting: incident rays
- Law dependent upon or involved in something else
Origin of incidentOld French from Medieval Latin from present participle of Classical Latin incidere, to fall upon from in-, on + cadere, to fall: see case
- something that happens; happening; occurrence
- something that happens as a result of or in connection with something more important; minor event or episode, specif. one in a novel, play, etc.
- an apparently minor conflict, disturbance, etc., as between persons, states, etc., that may have serious results
- a minor public disturbance, fracas, etc.
- Law something incident to something else
Origin of incidentME incydente