- Multiplication is defined as to calculate the result of repeated additions of two numbers.
An example of multiplication is 4 times 2 equals 8.
- a multiplying or being multiplied
- Math. the process of finding the number or quantity (product) obtained by repeated additions of a specified number or quantity (multiplicand) a specified number of times (multiplier): symbolized in various ways (Ex.: 3×4=12 or 3·4=12, which means 3+3+3+3=12, to add the number three together four times)
Origin of multiplicationMiddle English multiplicacioun ; from Old French multiplication ; from Classical Latin multiplicatio
- The act or process of multiplying or the condition of being multiplied.
- Propagation of plants and animals; procreation.
- Mathematics a. The operation that, for positive integers, consists of adding a number (the multiplicand) to itself a certain number of times. The operation is extended to other numbers according to the multiplicative properties of positive integers and other algebraic properties.b. Any of certain analogous operations involving mathematical objects other than numbers.
(countable and uncountable, plural multiplications)
- Derived from Latin term multiplicare