Proliferation is a rapid increase in numbers or rapid growth.noun
- When a country is quickly building up more weapons including nuclear weapons, this is an example of nuclear proliferation.
- If you start out with one rabbit and within a month you end up with five, this is an example of proliferation of rabbits.
Variant of proliferate
- to reproduce (new parts) in quick succession
- to produce or create in profusion
Origin: back-form. < proliferation < Fr prolifération < prolifère, proliferous + -ation
- to grow by multiplying new parts, as by budding, in quick succession
- to multiply rapidly; increase profusely
- proliferation noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.