- To proliferate is to multiply or to increase quickly in numbers.
An example of proliferate is when one product gives rise to many copycat products, which are ever-increasing in number.
- to reproduce (new parts) in quick succession
- to produce or create in profusion
Origin: back-form. from proliferation from French prolifération from prolifère, proliferous plush -ation
- to grow by multiplying new parts, as by budding, in quick succession
- to multiply rapidly; increase profusely
- proliferation noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb pro·lif·er·at·ed, pro·lif·er·at·ing, pro·lif·er·ates verb, intransitive
- To grow or multiply by rapidly producing new tissue, parts, cells, or offspring.
- To increase or spread at a rapid rate: fears that nuclear weapons might proliferate.
Origin: Back-formation from proliferation, the act of proliferating, from French prolifération, from prolifère, procreative : Latin prōlēs, prōl-, offspring; see proliferous + Latin -fer, -fer.
- pro·lifˌer·aˈtion noun
- pro·lifˈer·aˌtive adjective
- pro·lifˈer·aˌtor noun
proliferate - Medical Definition