Having just moved to the United States, Hector did the work of the proletariat in order to provide for his family.
The many people in a society who own regular jobs and make a living at or below the middle class level are an example of the proletariat.
- the class of lowest status in ancient Roman society
- Rare the class of lowest status in any society
- the working class; esp., the industrial working class
Origin of proletariatFrench prolétariat from Classical Latin proletarius: see proletary
- a. The class of industrial wage earners who, possessing neither capital nor production means, must earn their living by selling their labor.b. The poorest class of working people.
- The propertyless class of ancient Rome, constituting the lowest class of citizens.
Origin of proletariatFrench prolétariat from Latin prōlētārius belonging to the lowest class of Roman citizens ; see proletarian .
(countable and uncountable, plural proletariats)