- The definition of burgeon means to grow or blossom.
An example of burgeon is a cherry tree flowering in springtime.
A burgeoning plant.
burgeon definition by Webster's New World
- to put forth buds, shoots, etc.; sprout
- to grow or develop rapidly; expand; proliferate; flourish: the burgeoning suburbs
Origin: Middle English burjounen ; from Old French burjoner ; from burjon, a bud ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form burrio, a bud ; from Late Latin burra, wool, shaggy garment
burgeon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also bour·geonintransitive verb bur·geoned also bour·geoned, bur·geon·ing also bour·geon·ing, bur·geons also bour·geons
- a. To put forth new buds, leaves, or greenery; sprout.b. To begin to grow or blossom.
- To grow or develop rapidly.
Origin: Middle English burgeonen, from Old French borjoner, from burjon, a bud, from Vulgar Latin *burriō, burriōn-, from Late Latin burra, a shaggy garment.