- To thrive is defined as to be successful in managing business or money.
An example of to thrive is investing in a stock that makes lots of money.
- Thrive means to grow strong and healthy.
An example of to thrive is the growth of a successful vegetable garden.
intransitive verbthrived or throve, thrived or thriven , thriving
- to prosper or flourish; be successful, esp. as the result of economical management
- to grow vigorously or luxuriantly; improve physically
Origin of thriveMiddle English thrifen ; from Old Norse thrifast, to prosper, reflex. of thrifa, to grasp
intransitive verbthrived thrived or throve , thrived thrived or thriv·en , thriv·ing, thrives
- To grow vigorously; flourish: Some plants thrive in sandy soil.
- To be successful or make steady progress; prosper: The town has been thriving on tourism.
Origin of thriveMiddle English thriven, from Old Norse thrīfask, reflexive of thrīfa, to seize.
(third-person singular simple present thrives, present participle thriving, simple past throve or thrived, past participle thriven or thrived)
From Old Norse Ã¾rÃfask, from Ã¾rifa (“grasp").