- To thrive is defined as to be successful in managing business or money.
An example of to thrive is investing in a stock that makes lots of money.
- Thrive means to grow strong and healthy.
An example of to thrive is the growth of a successful vegetable garden.
intransitive verbthrived or throve, thrived or thriv′en , thriv′ing
- to prosper or flourish; be successful, esp. as the result of economical management
- to grow vigorously or luxuriantly; improve physically
Origin of thriveMiddle English thrifen from Old Norse thrifast, prosper, reflexive of thrifa, to grasp
intransitive verbthrived, or throve thrived, or thriv·en thriv·ing, thrives
- To grow vigorously; flourish: Some plants thrive in sandy soil.
- To be successful or make steady progress; prosper: The town has been thriving on tourism.
Origin of thriveMiddle English thriven from Old Norse thrīfask reflexive of thrīfa to seize
(third-person singular simple present thrives, present participle thriving, simple past throve or thrived, past participle thriven or thrived)
From Old Norse Ã¾rÃfask, from Ã¾rifa (“grasp").