- The definition of improve is to make something or someone better, or to become better.
- An example of improve is when you make a new product that is better than the old one.
- An example of improve is when you practice piano until you learn to play better.
improve definition by Webster's New World
- Now Rare to use profitably or to good advantage: to improve one's leisure by studying
- to raise to a better quality or condition; make better
- ☆ to make (land or structures) more valuable by cultivation, construction, etc.
Origin: earlier improw ; from Anglo-French emprower ; from en-, in plush prou, gain, advantage ; from Late Latin prode, advantage (back-form. ; from Classical Latin prodesse, to be of advantage): see pro- and amp; is
improve definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb im·proved, im·prov·ing, im·proves verb, transitive
- To raise to a more desirable or more excellent quality or condition; make better.
- To increase the productivity or value of (land or property).
- To put to good use; use profitably.
- To become better.
- To make beneficial additions or changes: improve on the translation.
Origin: Middle English improwen, to enclose land for cultivation, from Anglo-Norman emprouwer, to turn to profit : Old French en-, causative pref. (from Latin in-; see in-2) + Old French prou, profit (from Late Latin prōde, advantageous; see proud).
- im·provˈa·ble adjective
- im·provˈa·bly adverb
improve - Phrases/Idioms
improve onor improve upon