downgrade definition by Webster's New World
- a downward slope, esp. in a road
- a lowering in rank, value, etc.
downgrade definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A descending slope, as in a road.
- A turn or trend downward.
- A decline, as in fortune, status, or condition: a neighborhood on the downgrade.
downgrade - Investment & Finance Definition
An action that communicates concern or an increasingly negative outlook for a stock or bond. Typically, Wall Street analysts downgrade a company’s stock if they think the outlook for the company is worsening. Other times, analysts lower a stock’s rating if the stock has performed strongly and has little room left for its price to appreciate. Ratings agencies also downgrade the credit ratings of companies, countries, and specialized financial instruments.Webster's New World Finance and Investment Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
downgrade - Phrases/Idioms
on the downgrade