- Upgrade means uphill or upward.
An example of upgrade used as an adjective is in the phrase "upgrade drive," which means an uphill drive.
- Upgrade is defined as upward or uphill.
An example of upgrade used as an adverb is in the phrase "upgrade running," which means a running up a hill.
- The definition of an upgrade is an upward slope, or an improvement or advancement.
- An example of an upgrade is a hill.
- An example of an upgrade is a new master bathroom.
- Upgrade is defined as to improve, promote or make better.
An example of upgrade is to add a new floor to a home.
- an upward slope, esp. in a road
- an improvement in or enhancement of the condition, status, etc. of a person or thing
- something that has been improved or enhanced
- to promote to a more skilled job at higher pay
- to raise in importance, value, esteem, etc.
on the upgrade
verbup·grad·ed, up·grad·ing, up·grades
- To raise to a higher grade or standard: upgrading their military defenses.
- Computers a. To replace (a software program) with a more recently released, enhanced version.b. To replace (a hardware device) with one that provides better performance.
- To improve the quality of (livestock or crops) through breeding.
- To exchange a possession for one of greater value or quality; trade up.
- Computers To replace software or hardware with an upgrade.
- The act or an instance of upgrading.
- Computers a. A software program that provides added enhancements over an earlier version.b. A hardware device that provides greater performance than an earlier model.
- An upward incline.
- an improved component or replacement item, usually applied to technology
- With my phone company, I get a free upgrade every twelve months if I keep topping up 10 pounds a month.
(third-person singular simple present upgrades, present participle upgrading, simple past and past participle upgraded)
- to improve, usually applied to technology, generally by complete replacement of one or more components
- to replace an existing object with something better
- I had to upgrade my anti-virus software to protect my computer from the newer threats.
- (computing) to replace a program with a later version of itself, a version having a higher version number or marketed under a more recent product name
upgrade - Computer Definition
upgrade - Investment & Finance Definition
An action taken by Wall Street analysts that communicates an increasingly positive outlook for a company’s stock or bonds. Typically, analysts upgrade a company’s stock if they think the company’s earnings, revenues, or share price will improve. Ratings agencies also upgrade credit ratings of corporations, countries, and specialized financial instruments if cash flow improves or if debt levels are reduced.