- Slope is defined as a surface where one end is higher than the other. It is also the difference in the angles of the surface.
An example of slope is the amount by which a surface veers downward.
- The definition of slope is to slant up or down, or to put something into a position where it slants up or down.
When a line goes from high to low, this is an example of slope.
- a piece of ground that is not flat or level; rising or falling ground
- any inclined line, surface, position, etc.; slant
- deviation from the horizontal or vertical
- the amount or degree of this
- Slang a native of East Asia, often, specif., of Vietnam: a vulgar term of hostility and contempt
- ☆ the land area that drains into a given ocean
- the trigonometric tangent of the positive angle formed between a given straight line and the x-axis of a pair of Cartesian coordinates
- the slope of the tangent line to a given curve at a designated point
Origin: Middle English from aslope, sloping (mistaken as a slope) from Old English aslopen, past participle of aslupan, to slip away from slupan, to glide: see sloop
- to have an upward or downward inclination; take an oblique direction; incline; slant
- Chiefly Brit., Informal to go or move (off, away, etc.), esp. in a leisurely or furtive way
- sloper noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb sloped sloped, slop·ing, slopes verb, intransitive
- To diverge from the vertical or horizontal; incline: a roof that slopes. See Synonyms at slant.
- To move on a slant; ascend or descend: sloped down the trail.
- An inclined line, surface, plane, position, or direction.
- A stretch of ground forming a natural or artificial incline: ski slopes.
- a. A deviation from the horizontal.b. The amount or degree of such deviation.
- Mathematics a. The rate at which an ordinate of a point of a line on a coordinate plane changes with respect to a change in the abscissa.b. The tangent of the angle of inclination of a line, or the slope of the tangent line for a curve or surface.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of East Asian birth or descent.
Origin: Probably from Middle English aslope, sloping.
- slopˈer noun
- slopˈing·ly adverb
slope - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.