- The definition of ascent is the act of climbing or moving upward.
As example of an ascent would be taking the ski lift to the top of a mountain.
ascent definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of ascending, rising, or climbing
- an advancement, as in rank, fame, etc.
- a way leading up; upward slope; acclivity
- the amount of such slope: an ascent of three degrees
- a going back in time or in line of ancestry
Origin: ; from ascend, modeled on descent
ascent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or process of rising or going upward.
- An advancement, especially in social status.
- An upward slope or incline.
- A going back in time or upward in genealogical succession.
Origin: From ascend, on the model of descent.
ascent - Legal Definition
The passing of an estate to an heir who is an ancestor of the intestate. See also descent.