The definition of ascent is the act of climbing or moving upward.
As example of an ascent would be taking the ski lift to the top of a mountain.
- the act of ascending, rising, or climbing
- an advancement, as in rank, fame, etc.
- a way leading up; upward slope; acclivity
- the amount of such slope: an ascent of three degrees
- a going back in time or in line of ancestry
Origin of ascent; from ascend, modeled on descent
- The act or process of rising or going upward.
- An advancement, especially in social status.
- An upward slope or incline.
- A going back in time or upward in genealogical succession.
Origin of ascentFrom ascend, on the model of descent.
- The act of ascending. A motion upwards.
- He made a tedious ascent of Mont Blanc.
- The way or means by which one ascends.
- There is a difficult northern ascent from Malaucene of Mont Ventoux.
- An eminence, hill, or high place.
- The degree of elevation of an object, or the angle it makes with a horizontal line; inclination; rising grade.
- The road has an ascent of 5 degrees.
- (typography) The ascender height in a typeface.
- An increase, for example in popularity or hierarchy
ascent - Legal Definition
The passing of an estate to an heir who is an ancestor of the intestate. See also descent.