An example of bilateral used as an adjective is in the phrase a "bilateral promise" which means a promise that affects two parties.
- of, having, or involving two sides, halves, factions, etc.
- having terms affecting both sides reciprocally: a bilateral pact
- arranged symmetrically on opposite sides of an axis
Origin of bilateralbi- + lateral
- Having or formed of two sides; two-sided.
- Affecting or undertaken by two sides equally; binding on both parties: a bilateral agreement; bilateral negotiations.
- Relating to the right and left sides of the body or of a body structure.
- Having or marked by bilateral symmetry.
(comparative more bilateral, superlative most bilateral)
From bi- + lateral.