precipitous[prē sip′ə təs, pri-]
- The definition of precipitous is something very steep.
An example of precipitous is a cliff that requires climbing gear to get to the top.
- steep like a precipice; sheer
- having precipices
Origin of precipitousMiddle French precipiteux ; from Late Latin an unverified form precipitosus ; from Classical Latin praeceps: see precipice
- Resembling a precipice; extremely steep. See Synonyms at steep1.
- Having several precipices: a precipitous bluff.
- Extremely rapid, hasty, or abrupt; precipitate: a precipitous collapse in prices. See Usage Note at precipitate.
Origin of precipitousProbably from obsolete precipitious, from Latin praecipitium, precipice; see precipice.