- Rapid is defined as something that is fast or quick or that happens in a short time.
- When your breathing becomes really fast, this is an example of a time when you experience rapid breathing.
- When a government goes down hill really quickly, this is an example of a time when it experiences a rapid decline.
- The definition of a rapid is a turbulent part of a river where the current flows quickly.
A narrow part of river bed where the current is flowing rapidly is an example of a rapid.
Origin: L rapidus from rapere, to seize, rush: see rape
- a part of a river where the current is relatively swift, as because of a narrowing of the river bed
- a rapid transit car, train, or system
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective rap·id·er, rap·id·est
Origin: Latin rapidus, from rapere, to seize; see rep- in Indo-European roots.
- ra·pidˈi·ty , rapˈid·ness noun
- rapˈid·ly adverb