The Numbers Arkansas River Whitewater Rapids in Colorado
- Rapid is defined as something that is fast or quick or that happens in a short time.
- When your breathing becomes really fast, this is an example of a time when you experience rapid breathing.
- When a government goes down hill really quickly, this is an example of a time when it experiences a rapid decline.
- The definition of a rapid is a turbulent part of a river where the current flows quickly.
A narrow part of river bed where the current is flowing rapidly is an example of a rapid.
Origin of rapidClassical Latin rapidus from rapere, to seize, rush: see rape
- [usually pl.] a part of a river where the current is relatively swift, as because of a narrowing of the riverbed
- a rapid transit car, train, or system
Origin of rapidLatin rapidus from rapere to seize ; see rep- in Indo-European roots.
- ra·pid′i·ty rap′id·ness
(comparative more rapid, superlative most rapid)