- The definition of an explosion is a loud outburst or blast, or a sudden increase.
- An example of an explosion is a champagne cork quickly popping out.
- An example of an explosion is a bomb going off.
- An example of an explosion is the social media explosion.
A fiery explosion.
explosion definition by Webster's New World
- an exploding; esp., a blowing up, or bursting with a loud noise; detonation
- the noise made by exploding
- a noisy outburst; loud breaking forth: an explosion of wrath
- a sudden, rapid, and widespread increase: a population explosion
- Phonet. plosion
Origin: Classical Latin explosio ; from past participle of explodere: see explode
explosion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A release of mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy in a sudden and often violent manner with the generation of high temperature and usually with the release of gases.b. A violent bursting as a result of internal pressure.c. The loud, sharp sound made as a result of either of these actions.
- A sudden, often vehement outburst: an explosion of rage.
- A sudden, great increase: a population explosion; the explosion of illegal drug use.
- Linguistics See plosion.
Origin: Latin explōsiō, explōsiōn-, a driving off, from explōsus, past participle of explōdere, to drive out by clapping; see explode.
explosion - Science Definition