- The definition of superficial is something on the surface or a person concerned only about obvious things.
- An example of superficial is an oil spill that doesn't go very deep into the ocean.
- An example of superficial is someone who is only interested in how they and others look.
superficial definition by Webster's New World
- of or being on the surface: a superficial burn
- of or limited to surface area; plane: superficial measurements
- concerned with and understanding only the easily apparent and obvious; not profound; shallow
- quick and cursory: a superficial reading
- seeming such only at first glance; merely apparent: a superficial resemblance
Origin: Middle English superficyall ; from Classical Latin superficialis ; from superficies: see superficies
superficial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, affecting, or being on or near the surface: a superficial wound.
- Concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; shallow.
- Apparent rather than actual or substantial: a superficial resemblance.
- Trivial; insignificant: made only a few superficial changes in the manuscript.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French superficiel, from Latin superficiālis, from superficiēs, surface; see superficies .
- suˌper·fiˌci·alˈi·ty , suˌper·fiˈcial·ness noun
- suˌper·fiˈcial·ly adverb
superficial - Medical Definition
- Of, affecting, or being on or near the surface.
- Not thorough.