- The definition of careful is someone or something that works or thinks in a cautious, thorough or thoughtful way.
- A mountain climber who triple checks their safety gear is an example of careful.
- A person who is very detailed is an example of careful.
- Purposely making very little noise while someone is sleeping is an example of careful.
A mountain climber must be very careful.
- acting or working in a thoughtful, painstaking way
- cautious, wary, or guarded: a careful reply
- accurately or thoroughly done or made; painstaking: a careful analysis
- Archaic feeling or causing sorrow, worry, etc.; anxious
Origin of carefulMiddle English and amp; OE: see care and amp; -ful
- Attentive to potential danger, error, or harm; cautious: was careful when crossing the street; a careful answer.
- Thorough and painstaking in action or execution; conscientious: a careful search; careful art restorers.
- Protective; solicitous: Be careful of his feelings.
- Full of cares or anxiety: “Thou art careful and troubled about many things” (Luke 10:41).
(comparative more careful, superlative most careful)