- An example of cautious is a person who always makes a pro/con list before making any decision to identify all possible problems that could come up.
- An example of cautious is a decision undertaken only after great deliberation and with some lingering fear.
The definition of cautious is being aware, being careful or being alert to danger.
- Showing or practicing caution; careful.
- Tentative or restrained; guarded: felt a cautious optimism that the offer would be accepted.
(comparative more cautious, superlative most cautious)
- Her tone was cautious but respectful.
- He watched closely, appearing amused and cautious, like a husband watching his wife learn to box.
- This invader was very cautious and avoided much of our security.
- Charles IV., a cautious sovereign with many cares, was as anxious for the maintenance of peace as Casimir himself.
- The more cautious generals were accused of corruption in not supporting Chares.