- The definition of cautious is being aware, being careful or being alert to danger.
- An example of cautious is a person who always makes a pro/con list before making any decision to identify all possible problems that could come up.
- An example of cautious is a decision undertaken only after great deliberation and with some lingering fear.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Showing or practicing caution; careful.
- Tentative or restrained; guarded: felt a cautious optimism that the offer would be accepted.
- cauˈtious·ly adverb
- cauˈtious·ness noun