- The definition of careless is not paying proper attention to detail or not taking care to do something well enough or correctly.
A mistake you make because you aren't really paying attention is an example of a careless mistake.
careless definition by Webster's New World
- without worry; carefree; untroubled
- not paying enough attention; not thinking before one acts or speaks; neglectful; heedless; inconsiderate
- done or made without enough attention, precision, etc.; not painstaking or thorough
- artless; unstudied: a careless grace
Origin: Middle English careles ; from Old English carleas: see care and amp; -less
careless definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Taking insufficient care; negligent: a careless housekeeper; careless proofreading.
- Marked by or resulting from lack of forethought or thoroughness: a careless mistake.
- Showing a lack of consideration: a careless remark.
- Unconcerned or indifferent; heedless: careless of the consequences.
- Unstudied or effortless: danced with careless grace.
- Exhibiting a disposition that is free from cares; cheerful: a careless grin; a careless wave of the hand.
- careˈless·ly adverb
- careˈless·ness noun
careless - Phrases/Idioms