- The definition of slovenly is someone or something that is messy, overly casual or careless in their actions.
When someone has messy and uncombed hair and dirty clothing, this is an example of a person who would be described as slovenly.
- characteristic of a sloven
- careless in appearance, habits, work, etc.; untidy; slipshod
- Untidy, as in dress or appearance.
- Marked by negligence; careless or slipshod: a slovenly legal defense. See Synonyms at sloppy.
(comparative slovenlier, superlative slovenliest)