- The definition of slovenly is someone or something that is messy, overly casual or careless in their actions.
When someone has messy and uncombed hair and dirty clothing, this is an example of a person who would be described as slovenly.
slovenly definition by Webster's New World
adjective slovenlier, slovenliest
- characteristic of a sloven
- careless in appearance, habits, work, etc.; untidy; slipshod
in a slovenly manner
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- slovenliness noun
slovenly definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Untidy, as in dress or appearance.
- Marked by negligence; slipshod. See Synonyms at sloppy.
- slovˈen·li·ness noun
- slovˈen·ly adverb