- The definition of tidy is someone or something that is neat and well put together.
An example of someone who would be described as tidy is a clean and well-dressed person.
- neat in personal appearance, ways, etc.; orderly
- neat in arrangement; in order; trim
- fairly good; satisfactory
- rather large; considerable: a tidy sum of money
Origin: Middle English tidi, seasonable, honest, hence inch(es) good condition from tide: see tide
- a small container for odds and ends
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective ti·di·er, ti·di·est
- Orderly and neat in appearance or procedure. See Synonyms at neat1.
- Informal Adequate; satisfactory: a tidy arrangement.
- Informal Substantial; considerable: a tidy sum.
Origin: Middle English tidi, in season, healthy, from tide, time; see tide1.
- tiˈdi·ly adverb
- tiˈdi·ness noun