The definition of tidy is someone or something that is neat and well put together.
An example of someone who would be described as tidy is a clean and well-dressed person.
- neat in personal appearance, ways, etc.; orderly
- neat in arrangement; in order; trim
- fairly good; satisfactory
- rather large; considerable: a tidy sum of money
Origin of tidyMiddle English tidi, seasonable, honest, hence in good condition ; from tide: see tide
- a small container for odds and ends
- a. Orderly and clean in appearance: keeps the apartment tidy.b. Given to keeping things clean and in order: a tidy housekeeper.
- Informal Adequate; satisfactory: a tidy arrangement.
- Informal Substantial; considerable: a tidy sum.
verbti·died, ti·dy·ing, ti·dies
To clean or put in order: tidied up the house.
To make things clean or orderly: tidied up after dinner.
A decorative protective covering for the arms or headrest of a chair.
Origin of tidyMiddle English tidi, in season, healthy, from tide, time; see tide1.
- A surname.