- Straighten is to make something orderly or unwavy.
- An example of straighten is to clean one's room.
- An example of straighten is to flat press someone's hair to remove the curl.
straighten definition by Webster's New World
transitive verb, intransitive verb
to make or become straight
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- straightener noun
straighten definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
tr. & intr.v. straight·ened, straight·en·ing, straight·ens
To make or become straight or straighter.
- straightˈen·er noun
straighten - Phrases/Idioms
- to make or become less confused, easier to deal with, etc.
- â to make or become more correct or moral in behavior; reform
to put in good order; make tidy straighten up your room before leaving