The definition of sloppy is something messy or done with a lack of care.adjective
- A room with papers and clothes and dirty dishes spread all around is an example of something that would be described as sloppy.
- Jotting down quick answers to your homework that are written so messily the teacher can barely read them is an example of something that would be described as a sloppy effort.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective slop·pi·er, slop·pi·est
- Marked by a lack of neatness or order; untidy: a sloppy room.
- Marked by a lack of care or precision; slipshod: sloppy use of language.
- Informal Oversentimental; gushy.
- Of, resembling, or covered with slop; muddy or slushy: sloppy ground.
- Watery and unappetizing: a sloppy stew.
- Spotted or splashed with liquid.
- slopˈpi·ly adverb
- slopˈpi·ness noun