- The definition of sentimental is a feeling of looking back fondly on memories, sometimes with a little bit of sadness or a wishing you could be back at that time.
An example of sentimental is an attachment to your childhood house.
sentimental definition by Webster's New World
- having or showing tender, gentle, or delicate feelings, as in aesthetic expression
- having or showing such feelings in an excessive, superficial, or maudlin way; mawkish
- influenced more by emotion than reason; acting from feeling rather than from practical motives
- of or resulting from sentiment: a sentimental reason
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- sentimentally adverb
sentimental definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Characterized or swayed by sentiment.b. Affectedly or extravagantly emotional.
- Resulting from or colored by emotion rather than reason or realism.
- Appealing to the sentiments, especially to romantic feelings: sentimental music.
- senˌti·menˈtal·ly adverb