- a complex combination of feelings and opinions as a basis for action or judgment; general emotionalized attitude: the sentiment of romantic love
- a thought, opinion, judgment, or attitude, usually the result of careful consideration, but often colored with emotion: often used in pl.
- susceptibility to feeling or to emotional appeal; sensibility
- appeal to the emotions in literature or art; expression of delicate, sensitive feeling
- sentimentality; maudlin emotion
- a short sentence or aphorism expressing some thought or wish, as in a toast
- the thought or meaning behind something said, done, or given, as distinct from the literal statement, act, etc.
Origin of sentimentMiddle English sentement from Old French from Medieval Latin sentimentum from Classical Latin sentire, to feel, sense