- the power or process of receiving conscious sense impressions through direct stimulation of the bodily organism: the sensations of hearing, seeing, touching, etc.
- an immediate reaction to external stimulation of a sense organ; conscious feeling or sense impression: a sensation of cold
- a generalized feeling or reaction, often vague and without reference to immediate stimulus: a sensation of happiness
- a state or feeling of general excitement and interest: the play caused such a sensation
- the action, event, person, etc. causing such a feeling
Origin of sensationLate Latin sensatio from sensatus: see sensate