- Torpor is the state of being inactive or having apathy.
An example of torpor is a teenage couch potato.
- a state of being dormant or inactive; temporary loss of all or part of the power of sensation or motion; sluggishness; stupor
- dullness; apathy
Origin of torporClassical Latin ; from torpere: see torpid
- A state of mental or physical inactivity or insensibility.
- Lethargy; apathy. See Synonyms at lethargy.
- The dormant, inactive state of a hibernating or estivating animal.
Origin of torporLatin, from torpēre, to be stiff; see ster-1 in Indo-European roots.
From Latin torpor (â€œnumbnessâ€), from torpeÅ (â€œI am numbâ€).