- The definition of inactive is a person or thing that isn't working or moving.
An example of inactive is a car that won't start.
This car is inactive.
inactive definition by Webster's New World
- not active or moving
- not inclined to act; idle; dull; sluggish
- not in use or force; not functioning
- not in active service in the armed forces
- not affecting the plane of polarized light: said of some isomers of certain optically active crystalline substances
- chemically inert
inactive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not active or tending to be active.
- a. Not functioning or operating; out of use: inactive machinery.b. Not being in continuous use or operation: an inactive brokerage account.
- Retired from duty or service.
- Chemistry Not readily participating in chemical reactions; inert.
- Biology Marked by the absence or reduction of activity, such as the ability to cause infection.
- Medicine Quiescent. Used especially of a disease.
- Physics Showing no optical activity in polarized light.
- in·acˈtive·ly adverb
- inˌac·tivˈi·ty, in·acˈtive·ness noun