- The definition of working is able to or used to complete a task or a job.
An example of working used as an adjective is in the phrase "working water mill."
- Working is defined as the process or action of completing a task.
An example of working is going to a job each day.
- that works; specif., engaged in unskilled or manual labor
- of, for, used in, or taken up by work: a working day, working clothes
- sufficient to be effective: a party holding a working majority in the legislature
- sufficient for basic or practical use: a working knowledge of Spanish
- on which further work is or may be based: a working hypothesis
- used during a project's development; provisional: a working title for a movie in preproduction
- moving or jerking convulsively, as from emotion: said of the face, features, etc.
- the act or process of a person or thing that works
- the process of forming or shaping something
- convulsive movement or jerking, as of the face
- slow or gradual progress involving great effort or exertion
- [usually pl.] a part of a mine, quarry, etc. where work is or has been done
- a. Performing work: a working committee.b. Operating or functioning as required: a working flashlight.
- Having a paying job; employed: working mothers.
- a. Spent at work: a working life of 40 years.b. Taken while continuing to work: a working vacation.
- a. Sufficient to allow action: a working majority.b. Adequate for practical use: a working knowledge of Spanish.
- Serving as a basis or guide for further work: a working hypothesis.
- The manner in which something operates or functions: the workings of the mind.
- The parts of a mine or quarry that have been or are being excavated.
- (usually plural) Operation; action.
- Method of operation.
- (of bodies of water) Becoming full of a vegetable substance.
From Middle English werking, werkynge, warkynge, worchinge, from Old English wyrcung (“working, work"), verbal noun of wyrcan (“to work"), equivalent to work +"Ž -ing. Cognate with Scots wirking, warking, Dutch werking, German Wirkung.
- Present participle of work.
- Leave him alone, he's working.
- That is or are functioning.
- a working ventilator
- That suffices but requires additional work.
- a working copy of the script
- In paid employment.
- working mothers
- Of or relating to employment.
- the working week
- Enough to allow one to use something.
- a working knowledge of computers