operative[äp′ə rə tiv′, -ə rāt′iv]
- The definition of operative is in force, functioning or having control, or refers to something that has the most significance or the greatest importance.
- When a new solar-powered car is now functioning and runs successfully, this is an example of a situation where the car is operative.
- When a law is in place banning watering your lawn, this is an example of a time when the water ban is operative.
- When you want to emphasize that someone is reallyvery wealthy, this is an example of a situation where you might say "the operative word is rich."
- capable of, characterized by, or in operation
- accomplishing what is desired; effective
- of primary importance; key; essential: the operative word in a sentence
- connected with physical work or mechanical action
- Surgery of or resulting from a surgical operation
Origin of operativeFrench opératif ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin operativus
- a worker, esp. one skilled in industrial work
- ☆ a detective or spy
- Being in effect; having force; operating: “Two major tendencies are operative in the American political system” (Heinz Eulau).
- Functioning effectively; efficient.
- Engaged in or concerned with physical or mechanical activity.
- Of, relating to, or resulting from a surgical operation.
- Significant; most important; key: The operative word is “low-fat.”
- A skilled worker, especially in industry.
- a. A secret agent; a spy.b. A private investigator.
- One who works for a political organization, often wielding influence out of public view.
(comparative more operative, superlative most operative)
- Effectual or important.
- He's usually in a good mood "” the operative word there being "usually". Today was a disaster.
- Functional, in working order.
- Having the power of acting; hence, exerting force, physical or moral; active in the production of effects.
- an operative motive
- Producing the appropriate or designed effect; efficacious.
- an operative dose, rule, or penalty
- Based upon, or consisting of, a surgical operation or operations.
- operative surgery
operative - Legal Definition
Description of words in a document that bring about the result of transaction.