detective[dē tek′tiv, di-]
- The definition of detective is something related to investigating a crime or is used for detecting or finding something.
An example of detective is examination of a crime; detective investigation.
- Detective is defined as someone hired to investigate and solve crimes.
An example of a detective is a law enforcement officer investigating a kidnapping.
Two detectives investigate a murder scene.
- of or for detection
- of detectives and their work
Origin of detectiveshort for detective policeman a person on a police force, whose work is investigating and trying to solve crimes
Origin of detectiveshort for private detective a person working privately to investigate crimes, gather information, etc.
- Of or relating to detectives or their work: detective novels.
- Suited for or used in detection.
terms etymologically related to detective