- The definition of useless is someone or something that has no function or purpose or that is not helpful in any way.
An umbrella that does not keep you dry is an example of something that would be described as useless since it serves no purpose.
This umbrella is useless.
useless definition by Webster's New World
- having no use; unserviceable; worthless
- to no purpose; ineffectual; of no avail
useless definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Being or having no beneficial use; futile or ineffective.
- Incapable of functioning or assisting; ineffectual: He panics easily and is useless in an emergency. See Synonyms at futile.
- useˈless·ly adverb
- useˈless·ness noun