This umbrella is useless.
- The definition of useless is someone or something that has no function or purpose or that is not helpful in any way.
An umbrella that does not keep you dry is an example of something that would be described as useless since it serves no purpose.
- having no use; unserviceable; worthless
- to no purpose; ineffectual; of no avail
- a. Being or having no beneficial use; ineffective: This pen is useless because it's out of ink. See Synonyms at futile.b. Having no purpose or reason; pointless; to no avail: It's useless to argue over matters of taste.
- Incapable of acting or functioning effectively; ineffectual or inept: He panics easily and is useless in an emergency.
(comparative uselesser or more useless, superlative uselessest or most useless)
- Without use or possibility to be used.
- This fork has prongs that are bent. It's useless now.
- Unhelpful, not useful; pointless (of an action).
- I think it's useless to keep this discussion going. It's like talking to a wall.
- I tried my best to make him quit smoking, but my efforts were useless. He now smokes six packs a day.
- (pejorative, of a person) good-for-nothing; not dependable.
- Bill never mows the lawn, takes out the trash or anything. He's useless, but I love him anyways.
- (colloquial, of a person) unable to do well at a particular task or thing. Useless is mildly insulting.
- My brother is useless at most computer games, but he is an awesome PS2 player.
- Why do you keep trying? You're obviously useless at it.