- An example of a duffer is a an elderly man who plays golf once a week with his retired friends.
- An example of a duffer is a low-quality, counterfeit belt.
The definition of a duffer is someone who is a golfer with minimal skills or something that is stupid or worthless.
- Slang a peddler, as of cheap trinkets
- Slang anything counterfeit or worthless
- Informal a person, now often elderly, who is incompetent, ineffectual, or dawdling
- Informal a relatively unskilled golfer
Origin of duffer; from thieves' slang duff, to counterfeit, fake
- Informal a. An incompetent or dull-witted person.b. A casual or mediocre player of a sport, especially golf.
- Slang A peddler of cheap merchandise.
- Slang Something worthless or useless.
Origin of dufferOrigin unknown.
- (informal) An incompetent or clumsy person.
- (sports) A player having little skill, especially a golfer who duffs.
- (archaic) A pedlar or hawker, especially one selling cheap or substandard goods.
- (archaic) Cheap or substandard goods sold by a duffer.
- A cow that does not produce milk.
- (Australia, dated) A cattle thief; one who alters the brands of cattle.