- The definition of a duffer is someone who is a golfer with minimal skills or something that is stupid or worthless.
- An example of a duffer is a an elderly man who plays golf once a week with his retired friends.
- An example of a duffer is a low-quality, counterfeit belt.
duffer definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Slang a peddler, as of cheap trinkets
- Slang anything counterfeit or worthless
- Informal a person, now often elderly, who is incompetent, ineffectual, or dawdling
- Informal a relatively unskilled golfer
Origin: ; from thieves' slang duff, to counterfeit, fake
duffer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Informal a. An incompetent or dull-witted person.b. A casual or mediocre player of a sport, especially golf.
- Slang A peddler of cheap merchandise.
- Slang Something worthless or useless.
Origin: Origin unknown.